which is a small town with over 800 years of history
A man called Sigebodo has choosen the peak of the mountain to build a new castle. The mountain is between the Oder River and the Lutter River, which we call „Hausberg“ today.
Within the following years the settlement grew and was called „Lutterberg“ from now on. Already in 1415 the castle burned down but the counts of „Hohnstein“ let the village a privilege called „Bergfreiheit“.
That means the inhabitatents who were in touch with mining pledged a number of pearks. Due to the privilege„Bergfreiheit“ the number of inhabitants increased quickly. In 1600 there were already more than 1,000 people registered.
Numerous mines around the town offered a lot of work as they were copper mines which was highly demanded in that time. Already 1593 there are workers at the „Königshütte“ site who dealt with mining. Quite a few men produced the charcoal required in large quantities. The development of Bad Lauterberg as a mining town lasted intermittently until 1826. Even today they are a lots of historical buildings, a few mining tunnel entrances, the landscape („Wiesenbecker Teich“) which reminds us to former days.
In more than 800 years of history Bad Lauterberg knew how to connect tradition, future and progress.